Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Let's get real...

It has been several months since my last post, so for you loyal fans and followers I apologize! Life has gotten busy!

SO many changes in our house the last few months.... Logan started school (thank god!) and Jayce started 4th grade AND youth football! I will admit that when Jayce came home last school year to tell us he wanted to play, I cringed! Now, before you judge me, let me be perfectly up front.... Since age 4 Jayce has played soccer... It has been a nightmare! The first year the coach was a complete jack ass whom only focused on his own son, and only cheered on his own son... I mean you'd think we were playing in the World Cup! BUT, despite my little voice inside telling me NOT to sign him up year after year there after, I still did... Let's face it, it is good to get kids out to be active!! Weekend after weekend we spent our Saturday's at the soccer field wtaching our very "non athletic", "non aggressive" son play soccer, meanwhile he is on the field waving to his friends on opposite fields and just letting people pass him by with the ball. NOW, I am fully aware that Jayce is simply NOT cut out for this sport BUT, this is a child who has a heart of GOLD! He is THAT kid on your team who will do as he is asked (but maybe half ass) and cheer for his teammates until he has no voice left.... This is something that ALL teams need.... So, I was super concerned about the football issue as, a former high school athlete I knew he was in for a rude awakning!

Practices began the second week of July... AND in the central valley that means it's fucking HOT! His first day of conditioning I prepped myself all day! I had his cleats out, bought him a new water bottle and was ready to go with my chair to watch my boy!!!! Now, my Husband, who is the president of the organization wasn't so sure I should go..... He told me, "If you go, you need to sit far away where he cannot see you"...... Needless to say my feelings were hurt!!! SO, being the stubborn ass that I am, I reluctantly stayed behind.... I didn't go for 2 weeks to watch him.. Now, I coached cheer for 10 years AND competitive at that... I know first hand that kid's perform better when your nose isn't up their rear! Jayce has never been an athletic kid, nor aggressive so, I kept telling myself that this was going to be so good for him.... I had NO idea!

We are almost 3 months into him practicng/playing... He has completley shocked me and James..... He is one of the last kids to run his laps, he doesn't hit to kill the kid he's up against, and he is so respectful to his coaches.... He has not complained ONE time about going to practice in the heat, I mean with the exception of a couple days of him just wanting to relax at home...... His confidence has shot through the roof, and he has made many new friends. I LOVE watching him, even tho he doesn't play all the time. He has shown me a new side to him! He has such a big heart, and so much to offer this world... The shitty parents who complain about every damn thing are hard to dismiss but, I try to stay away from the practice field so I am not "that" parent... It's not that I don't support the program or my son, I just don't want to be set off by an ignorant comment by a parent who sits their ass at practice and doesn't volunteer their time to try to help out the board.... I am so proud of my boy, it brings me much joy to see him having fun!

Now, the parents on the other hand, that's a hold new world for me.... It is difficult with having a child play and having my husband as president.... Many times I have to bite my tongue in order not to embarress James or Jayce. Although positive suggestions are great, it's the negativity and the fact that parents think they are owed something! It is beyond me why people would sign their child up for something and then sit around and complain about every aspect of the program, whether it's coaching or not wanting to follow the rules! Aren't we the ones who are supposed to be setting a good example for our kids? It's very frustrating to me when people don't offer a solution but continue to be a problem.... Youth sports would NOT operate without volunteers and a really solid board! These people are taking time away every evening and every Saturday to coach your childern, and to keep them in a safe environment.... It is no wonder that so many kids are such punks now a days's because when you see their psycho parent screaming and bitching about everything, they follow!!!!! I am obvioulsy outspoken but, I am NOT disrespectful! If my boys ever disrespect an adult I will beat their ass! Why do some parents feel they are entitled? I just don't understand this...... I see James come home everynight from practice, and deal with a lot of extra, unnecessary bull shit. I commend him for his constant patience and "babysitting" of some of these parents who think throwing a tantrum and using the F word in fromt of the kids is "ok" because they had a bad day........ Really? I also LOVE the threats!!! Those are my favorite! "Well, then I'm taking my kid to another team..." Ummmm, ok, then turn in your kids shit and have fun.... Leave, bye bye, have fun. Let's show our kids that if they don't get their way that it's ok to quit. That's a great way to prepare them for real life when you work for an asshole!! Guess what, you have bills to pay! I also really enjoy the ones who threaten to sue, or say they're going to call their attorney because you get NO refund! You sign an agreeement that their is NO refunds so, how hard is that to understand?.... Hmmmmmmmm..... Hey listen, parenting is the hardest job out there but, WE need to be role models! Don't get me wrong, I am the first one to wanna be pissed if my kid is messed with but, this has nothing to do with the treatment of the kids, it's the parents and how they ruin this for their children by acting like animals! Just come and support and don't fight the rules! It is that simple..... Ok, rant over!

Moral to this post.... I am over the moon proud of my son, and parents you need a reality check sometimes.... or a shot of Patron and a Zanex...

Until next time..

P.S. I am so not perfect but, I try to be a good, supporive role model to my kids.

3 comments:

Chris Merritt said...

Kerry for president!!!!

Kerry said...

Want to be clear here that this is NOT all parents involved!!!!:).

Rodabaugh Family said...

Well said and I totally agree with you!

Bullfights

Bullfights
James's first bullfight this season..

My "other" Family

My "other" Family
LOVE my Footnotes Family!!